Last Updated: January 28, 2013
What Is Personal Information?
As used herein, the term "personal information" means information that specifically identifies an individual (such as a name, address, telephone number, mobile number, e-mail address, or credit card number), or information about that individual that is directly linked to personally identifiable information. Personal information does not include "aggregate" information, which is data we collect about the use of the Site or about a group or category of services or users, from which individual identities or other personal information has been removed. This Policy in no way restricts or limits our collection and use of aggregate information.
What Information Do We Collect?
Active Collection. We collect information from you in various ways when you visit the Site. For example, we collect information you voluntarily provide to us, such as when you create an account, set up your Profile, make a purchase, send us an email, fill out a form, or provide or request information. Such information may include personal information, such as your name, username, email, address, telephone number, other contact and demographic information, and credit card number. Personal and demographic information about you or others may also be collected if you provide such information in connection with creating a profile or group, participating in a forum, leaving comments, posting reviews or other content, sending an email, postcard or message or participating in any other features on the Site. In addition, from time to time we may collect personal or demographic information you provide in connection with your participation in surveys, sweepstakes, contests, games, promotional offers, and other activities on the Site.
Passive Collection. When you use the Site, some information is also automatically collected, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your operating system, the browser type, the address of a referring web site, and your activity on the Site. We treat this information as personal information if we combine it with or link it to any of the identifying information mentioned above. Otherwise, it is used in the aggregate only.
We may also automatically collect certain information through the use of "cookies." Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive at the request of a Web site. Among other things, cookies help us improve our Site as well as personalize and enhance your experience on the Site. For example, cookies enable you to store your preferences and other information so you do not have to repeatedly re-enter such information, and they enable us to display ads and content that may be personalized to your interests. Cookies also help us determine the effectiveness of some of our marketing efforts and communications, and they allow us to see which features and areas of the Site are popular. If we link cookies to any personally identifying information, we will treat this information as personal information. If you wish to block, erase, or be warned of cookies, please refer to your browser manufacturer to learn about these functions. However, if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect certain features or services on our Site.
In addition, a third party may also set a "flash cookie" on your computer when using a flash player. Removing and rejecting browser cookies on our Site does not necessarily affect third-party flash cookies used in connection with our Site. For more information about deleting or disabling flash cookies, please see Adobe Flash Player Privacy and Security.
We may use Web beacons (also known as pixel tags or clear GIFs) or similar technology on the Site. Web beacons are small, invisible graphic images that may be used on the Site or in emails relating to the Site to collect certain information and monitor user activity on the Site, such as to count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness or to tell if an email has been opened and acted upon.
We may store and process personal information in the United States and other countries.
How Do We Use the Personal Information We Collect?
We use personal information collected through our Site for the purposes described in this Policy or elsewhere on the Site. For example, we may use the personal information we collect:
- to provide the services, products, or information you request, to process and complete any transactions in connection therewith and to otherwise manage the Site and our business
- to request feedback and to otherwise contact you about use of the Site
- to respond to your emails, submissions, questions, comments, requests, and complaints and to provide customer service
- to send you messages from us, other users, and moderators in connection with your use of the Site
- to monitor and analyze site usage and trends, and to customize and improve the Site and our users' experiences on the Site, such as providing ads, content, or features that match their profiles or interests, and to increase the Site's functionality and user friendliness
- to provide you with news and information about our or third-party events, activities, offers, promotions, products, and services we think will be of interest to you
- to send you confirmations, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages and otherwise facilitate your use of, and our administration and operation of, the Site
- to notify you about important changes to our Site and other administrative issues
- to administer contests and sweepstakes and contact entrants and winners
for any other purpose for which the information was collected
What Personal Information Do We Share With Third Parties?
We will not share the personal information we collect from you through this Site with third parties, except as described in this Policy or on the Site. For example, we may share personal information as follows:
- with vendors, consultants, digital content providers and other service providers ("Service Providers") who provide services to us in connection with the operation of the Site or the provision of our products or services, such as fulfilling orders and requests, processing credit cards, and providing customer service assistance, and who need access to such information to carry out their work for us
- when you give us your consent to do so, including if we notify you on the Site that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information
- in an aggregated or anonymized form that does not directly identify you
- when we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or court orders
- when we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of OIC, our users, our employees, copyright owners, third parties or the public, including without limitation to protect OIC or our users from fraudulent, abusive, inappropriate, or unlawful use of our Site
- in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition, or in any other situation where personal information may be disclosed or transferred as one of the business assets of OIC
Interactive Areas You understand that when you use the Site, information you post in your profile, forums, reviews, blogs, listings, public or private groups, and other interactive areas of the Site, as well as any information you share with individuals through the Site or share through social network sites and Plugins, will be available to other users and in some cases may be publicly available. We recommend you be cautious about giving out personal information to others or sharing personal information in public or private online forums.
We are not responsible for the actions of Service Providers, social networks providing Plugins, or other third parties, nor are we responsible for any additional information you provide directly to any third parties, and we encourage you to become familiar with their privacy practices before disclosing information directly to any such parties.
Nothing in this Policy restricts the sharing of aggregated or anonymized information, which may be shared with third parties without your consent.
Links to Other Web Sites
What Steps Do We Take To Protect Your Information Online?
We take reasonable measures to help protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and no method of data transmission can be guaranteed against any interception or other type of misuse. To protect the confidentiality of personal information, you must keep your password confidential and not disclose it to any other person. You are responsible for all uses of our Site by any person using your password. Please advise us immediately if you believe your password has been misused.
What Choices Do You Have Regarding the Use of Your Information?
You can browse the Site without providing any contact information. However, for certain activities, you may be required to provide, or may choose to provide, such information to OIC. This information may be used, among other things to send you various communications as described above (see "How Do We Use the Personal Information We Collect?"), including marketing and promotional emails. However, you may "opt out" of receiving marketing or promotional emails from us by following the instructions in those emails. You may also opt out of such marketing emails by going to the "My Account" screen, selecting the "Settings" tab, and disabling the "News and announcements" notification or by emailing customer service. Even if you opt out of marketing and promotional emails, we may still send you emails about your orders, your accounts, the Site, our ongoing business relations or other non-promotional emails. Although these emails are not primarily promotional in nature, they may contain certain promotional materials in addition to their business purpose.
You can access, correct or change your account information and account preferences on the "My Account" screen. By selecting the "Profile" tab, you can decide or change which information is displayed in various features on the Site, such as in your Forum posts and comments. By selecting the "Account Info" tab, you can update your personal information and change your password.
You can also set your preferences for receiving alerts from OIC when there is activity related to your Forum posts or new releases of OIC books. Go to the "Settings" tab on the "My Account" screen
If you have any questions about this Policy, please contact us via email.
The OIC Team